Forfatter Emne: noise from the rear  (Læst 1580 gange)

0 Medlemmer og 1 Gæst læser dette emne.

Chamuleau

• Gæst
noise from the rear
« Dato: 05. August 2013 kl: 10:46:25 »
hi, I have a 1989 Caravelle 1.6TD and have just done a 2500km tour to Holland, England and Wales without noteworthy problems :-) However,  something has developed: I'm not sure how to describe it.  First there was this dragging/grinding sound when I slowly came to a stop and now when I accelerate there's another high pitched grinding noise coming from the rear. It's probably the brakes, drive train or the axles.
I'm no mechanic so would need to get it to a garage. Hope someone can recommend a good garage or mechanic near Arhus

regards,
Serge

Offline ottokrog

• Vis profil
  • By: Kbh Ø
noise from the rear
« Svar #1 Dato: 05. August 2013 kl: 11:32:58 »
It must be your ballbearings in one of the rear wheels. I am from Copenhagen, but I am sure somebody will refer you to a good mechanic in Århus.
Mvh,
Otto Krog
http://www.rstvproduktion.dk
http://www.vw-shoppen.dk
ok@rstvproduktion.dk
MISS BLUE, T3 1983 BENZIN AUTOCAMPER
DG WBX BOXER MOTOR
May the T3 Force be with you.

Chamuleau

• Gæst
noise from the rear
« Svar #2 Dato: 05. August 2013 kl: 11:37:14 »
thanks for your reply! would you think I should get it fixed A.S.A.P and not use it meanwhile?

Offline ottokrog

• Vis profil
noise from the rear
« Svar #3 Dato: 05. August 2013 kl: 11:45:12 »
As far as I am concerned you can keep on rolling for some time, the noise will just get worse. But you should get it fixed fast. There is a possibility that the damage will cause an even greater damage.
Mvh,
Otto Krog
ok@rstvproduktion.dk
DG WBX BOXER MOTOR

Offline ottokrog

• Vis profil
noise from the rear
« Svar #4 Dato: 05. August 2013 kl: 11:50:44 »
On second thought. Before you drive that car, make sure that your wheels are tightened firmly.  Check the nuts on the actual wheel, and the big nut in the middle. Three times I have lost a back wheel on a T3. And that is GREAT DAMAGE. In your description I don't think this is the case, but I just wanted you to check that before you drive the car. Just for precautions.
Mvh,
Otto Krog
ok@rstvproduktion.dk
DG WBX BOXER MOTOR

Chamuleau

• Gæst
noise from the rear
« Svar #5 Dato: 05. August 2013 kl: 11:59:03 »
Thanks, I'll do that. And as soon as someone can recommend a mechanic I'll get it checked and fixed. It's just that we have just moved to Hojbjerg and I have to take it to Ikea :-)

Offline porteren

• Vis profil
  • By: Jelling
noise from the rear
« Svar #6 Dato: 05. August 2013 kl: 13:47:19 »
After driving. Try to feel if the rear brakes are hotter than you can stand to touch.

It could be the brakes not letting go ??
Mvh.
Kim W

Har haft: Arnold. T3 Syncro 2,1 MV. 1989, med 2 spær, decoupler, lange ben og halvhøjt tag

Har: Vanessa. T4 Syncro 2,5 TDI 102 hk. 2001. Lang snude m. AXL motor.
Tidligere polizei buss

En syncro med beboelsesfaciliteter er ikke en camper. ----  Det er en expeditionswagen

Chamuleau

• Gæst
noise from the rear
« Svar #7 Dato: 05. August 2013 kl: 14:04:04 »
ok, I should have mentioned I like classic cars but have limited mechanical skills.... I have no idea how to locate the rear brakes :-)

But I did manage to check the bolts and these are firmly tightened. However I  removed the plastic wheelcaps to check the bolts and noticed a thin layer of brownish / rust coloured powder or dust  over the rim rear left

Offline jakob_mj

• Vis profil
noise from the rear
« Svar #8 Dato: 05. August 2013 kl: 14:45:13 »
The brakes on the back wheels are of the drum type, so the actual brakes are inside a drum and all you can see/access without dismantling is an enclosed box inside the wheel. To perform the test suggested above simply put a finger through one of the holes in the wheel and feel the box just inside/behind it. They will get hot after braking, but shouldn't be too hot to touch as stated above.

Basically when you press the pedal the pressure goes through the brakelines and forces two "brakeshoes" mounted inside the drums outwards and the friction forces the speed of the wheel down.

As always brakes are a safety measure and work on these should only be performed by somebody in the know, hopefully someone will point you in the right direction in Århus soon!

Chamuleau

• Gæst
noise from the rear
« Svar #9 Dato: 08. August 2013 kl: 08:43:33 »
Thanks to all of you for replying, even when I posted in English. Unfortunately no one could recommended a garage so I have just made an appointment at a garage near me, let's hope it works out

I was just wondering if most of you take care of repairs yourselves? I guess a T3 is relatively simple to maintain if you have some mechanic skills

regards,
Serge

Offline BlackChart

• Vis profil
noise from the rear
« Svar #10 Dato: 08. August 2013 kl: 11:25:16 »
The majority of the users in here make most repais them selves.
A T3 is REALLY simple to do maintenence on - no computers or other complicated electrical components ;)

Besides that, a T3 can be a very expensive car to own, when using garages or other mechanics.
Mvh. Morten Trab

Daily Driver - \'96 BMW 323i Sedan

Chamuleau

• Gæst
noise from the rear
« Svar #11 Dato: 23. August 2013 kl: 07:57:00 »
So I went to a general garage. They tell me the middle bolt was loose, there may be some slight wear on the axle which is no problem, otherwise there's nothing wrong with it and the brakes are fine. So I pay a pretty steep 1400 kr (well, they also fixed an electric problem with the wipers).
The noise when accelerating was gone but still the scraping noise when slowing down which is annoying and in my opinion just can not be right. And today after ±100km the noise when accelerating has returned :-(

So I'm getting a little desperate and would like to get this fixed properly. I am still looking for a good garage or mekaniker......